Return to the Home Page
View the Site Map

Search this Site using

    This Site
    The WWW
Search for Vital Mold Information and Resources
Mold Found In Canton School   PDF  Print  E-mail 
Posted by Susan Lillard  
Sunday, 03 October 2004

Officials Move To Clean Up Problem Fungus
Posted: 5:58 p.m. EDT August 15, 2002

CANTON, Mich.-- Officials at Salem High School say a fungus has been found inside the building and they're taking steps to clean it out.

A mold was found in a first-floor corridor of the Canton school. Officials found wet ceiling tiles and sweating pipes, and a further investigation uncovered the mold. The Plymouth-Canton school district has hired a firm to fix the problem, according to Jim Ryan, interim superintendent.

If the district is forced to replace the heating, ventilation and cooling system at Salem to eliminate mold, that could cost about $9 million, Local 4 reported.

Ryan told Local 4 that it's frustrating, but that they plan to clean up all of the mold. School starts in 11 days, the station reported.

Letters were sent to about 200 Salem staff members, asking them to keep an eye out for signs of moisture and to report those signs immediately.

Black mold, formally know as stachybotrys, thrives in moisture and grows well on wood, paper or cotton surfaces. If the spores are inhaled they can lead to a variety of ailments and even death.

Molds are very common in buildings and homes and will grow anywhere indoors where there is moisture.

Home | Glossary | Current Headlines | Resources | Discussion Board | Products | Events | Contact Us Now! | Disclaimer
  © 2003 - All Rights Reserved - Atlanta Web Design - Atlanta Internet Marketing
  The contents of this site may not be copied in any matter unless permission is granted by the author.