Mold-Help.org
Return to the Home Page
View the Mold-Help.org Site Map


Search this Site using
Google


    This Site
    The WWW
Search Mold-Help.org for Vital Mold Information and Resources
 
University has failed to remove asbestos and mold   PDF  Print  E-mail 
Posted by Susan Lillard  
Monday, 18 May 2009

Cincinnati, OH - The University of Cincinnati has yet to respond to reports of the presence of black mold and asbestos in Morgens Hall, and the health of previous residents may be at risk.

The university is legally mandated to respond to the situation by notifying all previous residents who could be affected by the toxic mold, Linda May, international health and safety consultant said. In that notification, all health risks must be listed and people are encouraged to be medically tested for illnesses caused by black mold and asbestos.

“There is a zero tolerance policy for this,” May said.

The mold can go undetected for years while growing within walls, in ceilings and underneath floors. Eventually, the mold may become potent enough to damage building materials and the occupants’ health.

“Unfortunately, no one from Housing and Food Services, or any other UC office, has contacted me about this,” said Peggy Shannon-Baker, a former resident of Morgens Hall.“To my knowledge, past residents still have not been informed of this, nor have we even received a statement that actually confirms that mold is or was
in Morgens.”

Certain tests may be performed at low cost during a physical survey by using a thermal scanner to report temperatures and moisture levels behind walls. Other noninvasive options for mold detection include the analysis of basic air quality reports.

Some buildings have what is called Sick Building Syndrome, according to the World Health Organization. SBS occurs when occupants experience headaches, throat irritation, nausea, acute allergy symptoms and fatigue, but symptoms may occur even if there is no specific report of mold or asbestos. Small changes may be made to the air quality and moisture levels to prevent mold growth and decrease the SBS symptoms.

The U.S. military reported on the dangers of black mold, which contains a chemical called trichothecene mycotoxin. Their report said trichothecene mycotoxin is very common in molds that are found in school buildings.

“This family of mycotoxins causes multiogran effects, including emesis and diarrhea, weight loss, nervous disorders [and] cardiovascular alterations, ” as stated in Chapter 34, sections one and two of the U.S. military report.

May said that individuals who lived in Morgens Hall should be tested immediately for mold poisoning and seek proper treatment, which does not include antibiotics or inhalers.

The month of May is, in some states, Toxic Injury Awareness and Education month. For information on mold exposure and poisoning, including a list of symptoms, visit epochtimes.com or the  U.S. Military’s Chapter 34 Trichothecene Mycotoxin report online.

 


Last Updated (Monday, 18 May 2009)

 
Home | Glossary | Current Headlines | Resources | Discussion Board | Products | Events | Contact Us Now! | Disclaimer
 
  © Mold-Help.org 2003 - All Rights Reserved - Atlanta Web Design - Atlanta Internet Marketing
  The contents of this site may not be copied in any matter unless permission is granted by the author.
!! NO EXCEPTIONS !!