Michigan Family Finds Toxic Mold Inside Home
As reported first by WZZM 13, Grand Rapids, Michigan, a family in West Michigan learns their medical issues may be caused by living with black mold for years. After noticing a small amount of mold on a wall and reporting it to their property owner, they learned there was a much more significant amount of mold hidden beneath the flooring and inside the walls of the home. Read the full story @ WZZM13.com
Black mold is a toxic and potentially dangerous type of fungus that can grow in any damp and poorly ventilated area of a home. Unfortunately, this type of mold is becoming increasingly common in poorly managed properties, with many homeowners and tenants living in homes that are contaminated with black mold. In this article, we will explore the dangers of black mold and what homeowners and tenants can do to protect themselves and their families from its harmful effects.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold is a type of fungus that is often referred to as “toxic mold” due to its potential health risks. The scientific name for black mold is Stachybotrys chartarum, and it is commonly found in homes that have suffered water damage or have high levels of humidity. Black mold produces toxic substances known as mycotoxins, which can cause a wide range of health problems, including respiratory issues, headaches, nausea, and even neurological damage.
Health Risks Associated with Black Mold Exposure
The health risks associated with black mold exposure are serious and can range from minor symptoms to life-threatening conditions. Some of the most common health problems associated with black mold exposure include:
- Respiratory problems: Black mold can cause respiratory problems, including coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. It can also trigger asthma attacks in individuals who are sensitive to mold.
- Headaches: Black mold can cause headaches, dizziness, and fatigue.
- Nausea: Some people experience nausea and vomiting after exposure to black mold.
- Neurological damage: In severe cases, exposure to black mold can lead to neurological damage and other serious health problems.
What Tenants Can Do to Protect Themselves
If you are a tenant living in a home that may be contaminated with black mold, it is important to take action to protect yourself and your family. Here are some steps you can take:
- Report the problem: If you suspect that your home may be contaminated with black mold, it is important to report the problem to your landlord immediately.
- Have the mold tested: A professional mold testing company can help you determine if your home is contaminated with black mold and, if so, the extent of the contamination.
- Take action: If the test results confirm the presence of black mold in your home, it is important to take action to have the mold removed as soon as possible. This may involve hiring a professional mold remediation company or, in some cases, moving to a different rental property.
Black mold is a serious threat to the health of homeowners and tenants, and it is important for tenants to take action to protect themselves and their families. If you suspect that your home may be contaminated with black mold, it is important to report the problem to your landlord and have the mold tested. If the test results confirm the presence of black mold, it is important to take action to have the mold removed as soon as possible. With the right steps, tenants can protect themselves from the dangers of black mold and ensure a healthy living environment for themselves and their families.