Most everyone agrees that fall leaves develop mold. They become extremely moldy over time as they decay. My sinuses swell up from just walking through them. Raking them can put me in the bed for days. But what about moldy Christmas trees?
I didn’t know that my Christmas tree could also make me ill. No wonder the Christmas season has been so tiring. I thought it was because winter brings the cold and flu season.
I can no longer have a live Christmas tree! I am one of the 25% of individuals especially susceptible and sensitive to mold. (It doesn’t affect my husband at all!)
Why are Christmas Trees a Problem?
- First, mold grows naturally on many trees, so it’s pretty universal in the environment.
- Next, trees are cut, stacked and stored for weeks. Mold growth from dying trees and water is bundled with the tree. You buy it and bring it home – mold becomes your unwelcome guest.
- Once in your home, the mold hiding in the needles and on the trunk starts spreading via your HVAC, and handling of the tree. According to Google, researchers have identified more than 35 varieties of mold growing on Christmas trees, including biggies like Aspergillus and Penicillium. Researchers say that these trees can raise the level of mold in your home as much as 5 times!!
- The warmth and humidity in your home encourages exponential mold growth, causing moldy Christmas trees.
I am wondering if anyone has suggestions?? There are of course artificial trees….ho hum. They will do, but…
When I do a Google search, I see that some people shake their trees, or spray them with water before they bring them in. I also see recommendations for keeping the tree up no more than a week. BTW, I found this article on WebMD interesting.
I’m guessing that going to a Christmas tree farm and cutting a fresh one myself would help.
I am resigned, but if you have a workable solution, please send a reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. The good folks there will make sure I receive your reply.
Name withheld by request