Katy ISD Classes Open Aug. 14
by Norm Rowland – Staff, Katy Sun
School starts Aug. 14 in Katy ISD and if past trends hold, enrollment may surpass 40,000 during the 2002-2003 school year.
Last year’s enrollment topped 37,500 students and the number has been increasing by 6 to 7.5 percent per year – equal to the normal student bodies of a junior high school and an elementary school – for most of the past decade.
School Reopening after Mold Remediation
Registration of new students continues into next week at the district’s 33 campuses. Registration at the district’s 21 elementary schools, including West Memorial which is reopening after mold remediation and reconstruction, continues through Aug. 13 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and resumes at 8 a.m. Aug. 14.
New student registration at high schools and junior highs continues through Aug. 12 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and resumes at 10 a.m. Aug. 14. All students must meet residency and immunization requirements. Pupils entering kindergarten must be 5 years old by Sept. 1 and those entering first grade must be 6 by Sept. 1. Parents or guardians should bring proof of age and residency and immunization records to the school when registering their child.
Lease agreements, recently paid utility bills bearing the name of the parent or guardian and an in-district address, deeds or mortgage papers, or a letter from a mortgage company verifying approval of a mortgage may be used to verify residency.
Older students also need a report card or transcript from last school attended and a withdrawal sheet from their previous school.
The following immunizations are required:
- DPT: 4 doses for children 6 and younger; 3 for 7 and older.
- DT: none (waived until further notice).
- Oral polio: 3 doses, at least one after 4th birthday, or within a month prior to 4th birthday.
- Rubeola: 2 does after 1st birthday required of pupils 5 and older born after Sept. 1, 1991. Pupils born before Sept. 2, 1991 must show proof of 2 doses before 12th birthday.
- Mumps: 1 dose after 1st birthday.
- Rubella: 1 dose after 1st birthday.
- HIB: 1 dose between 15 months and 5 years.
- Hepatitis B: 3 doses required if born after Sept. 2, 1992; if born before, 3 doses before 12th birthday.
- Varicella: 1 dose after 1st birthday or proof of having had chickenpox.
- TB skin test: recommended but not required.