Property owners, employers, manufacturers and other entities can be held responsible for adverse health effects of exposure to toxic substances.
Toxic exposure cases may involve different areas of law, including product liability toxic torts), premises liability, construction law, medical negligence or a combination thereof. The facts of your case will determine who may be liable.
Exposure Illness from Chemical and Toxins
Often, there are multiple issues in toxic workplaces and homes.
- Workplace toxins — Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), asbestos, fuels, solvents, heavy metals
- Chemical spills — Industrial plant accidents, tanker truck accidents, construction accidents
- Lead poisoning — Lead-based paint in apartments, foreign-made toys, old plumbing
- Toxic mold — Construction defects, neglected maintenance
- Toxic drugs — Vioxx, Fen-Phen, Celebrex and other pharmaceuticals
- Household products — Fire extinguishers, paints
Breathing or ingesting toxins can cause a wide range of health issues, including respiratory problems and pneumonia, brain damage and nerve damage, cancer, infertility, organ damage, chemical burns and skin ailments. In many cases the effects are permanent and the person can no longer work.
Next Step If You Are Injured
Laws governing cases regarding chemicals and toxins vary by state.Litigation involving toxic materials requires a substantial investment, including hiring experts in manufacturing, engineering, workplace safety, product safety and other fields to show how the company failed to protect workers or the public. It often requires testimony by oncologists, neurologists, and other medical specialists to establish a clear connection between the toxic exposure and the health effects.
Many law firms will offer you a free consultation to help you understand your rights and determine the validity of your claim. They will sometimes take your case on contingency, which means you do not have to pay up front for their services.
Information provided by https://www.raphaelsonlaw.com, located in New York.