After over 15 years, mold continues to be a problem at Pender County Schools. The State of North Carolina and FEMA has provided more than $6.5 million to the Pender County Board of Education for cleanup of elementary, middle and high schools flooded by Hurricane Florence. The funds supported as Pender County School battles toxic molds, helping to remove threats for the health and safety threats to students, faculty and staff. With this assistance, students were able to return to school.
The assistance to Pender County was one among several grants from FEMA’s Public Assistance program to state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations. The funds were designated to reimburse the cost of debris removal, emergency protective measures and permanent repair work. This program reimburses North Carolina applicants with 75% of eligible costs. The state picks up the other 25%. The federal share is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to agencies, local governments and certain nonprofit organizations that incurred costs.
Original Post – Pender County School Battles Toxic Molds from 10/24/02
At Topsail High, school’s out for the day, but mold is in, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. And it’s making a lot of people feel bad. “I have a bunch of friends that are sick because of it,” says Joseph Manor, Junior. “I have a good friend that’s been sick quite a few times this year, and she’s been in and out of the hospital recently.”
A recent report written by Carolina Environmental Incorporated blames water damage. It says the damage caused almost twice the normal moisture amount in some classrooms, leaving deteriorated ceiling tiles and carpets. Parents are concerned with the molds Stachybotrys and Aspergillus, two toxic molds parents say the school kept quiet. “These two controversial infamous deadly molds were found in our schools and no one was told,” says Kathy Lewis, concerned parent.
Right now, parents are left feeling helpless and students without many options. “Somebody needs to step up and get rid of it, plain flat and simple” says Manor. “We’re getting so sick I’ve already missed seven days, and I’m only supposed to miss four.”
by Michelle Sherwood