by Brian Kuebler
Memphis — "He’s the kinda son that I would like to have had. Very studious, very caring individual. He would do more than asked for all of the time," said East High teacher Dennis DeMarco.
Donald Mister was the type of kid teachers make into scholars. The type of kid that was more than just another hand in Mr. Demarco’s social studies class. "Part of me is gone. Losing a friend like that — I call him a friend now but back at school it’s gonna be a tough thing for that school to handle with everything that’s going on now"
Mr. Demarco is referring to the toxic mold they found in his school…his classroom. Although no one has yet to figure out the complete cause of Mister’s death…the very possibility of the connection between the toxic mold found last week and a deadly bout with asthma has some board members praying.
"Something is happening there. Students and people are getting sick. There is something wrong in that school. I am still sick." Memphis School Board member Sara Lewis is not the only one. There are a few reports of faculty and students getting sick at East High.
"We’re certainly saying everyone should get checked by their personal doctor. [Have you?] I have an appointment Tuesday. [How do you feel?] I could be better," remarked DeMarco because after three rounds of medication he says he can’t shake the respitory problems he started to have three months ago — when he moved into one of the mold infested rooms.
Again — none of this is confirmed — there is no solid connection between this toxic mold in East Highschool and Mister’s death or other illnesses, but for DeMarco and others — the circumstansial evidence is piling up on the school boards desk.
"I don’t think they’re doing enough right now," said DeMarco
Demarco says concerned parents should contact the school board.