Toxic Mold Takes Over a Proctor Home
A Proctor family is weighing its options after toxic mold forced them to flee their brand new home.
They say they went through a credible realtor and had the home inspected.
So, whose responsibility is it when a newly purchased home becomes a health hazard?
High levels of mold and bacteria made the Flicks and their four children sick, and they had to move out after just seven days. Before moving into a mold and bacteria infested home, Denise and Tony Flick believe they took all the proper home-buying steps. They got a loan form the bank and hired a realtor.
Paul Buchanan is a licensed house inspector who examined the Flicks’ home, but is not licensed nor insured to detect mold. He only looks for visible problems with the house. The Flicks’ real estate agency says they don’t claim to be an expert on the construction of any house.
They have never sold a property that that has had this kind of problem, and in the future they will tell the potential owner to have a health inspector to test the house before purchasing it.
The case has been frustrating for everyone involved with so many questions left unanswered. The Flicks are pursuing legal action against their realtor, the realtor who sold the home, and the previous homeowner.
The Flicks say the previous homeowner owned the house for about a year and a half, bought it just to renovate it, and never lived there.