This is an example of what one family accomplished, thus far, in the state capitol of Wisconsin, following a school mold exposure that their 11 year old daughter became ill from, despite the lack of progress at their local school.
MADISON, Wis. — “The Wisconsin Senate passed a bill on Tuesday that would monitor indoor air quality at schools around the state. The measure, Senate bill 235, was championed by Jeanne and Dick Black, of Darlington, after their 9-year-old daughter Jade became ill from what they said that poor air quality at her school…
AN ACT to amend 120.13 (9), 121.02 (1) (i) and 254.22 (4); and to create 101.29 of the statutes; relating to: indoor environmental quality in schools and granting rule−making authority.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Under current law, a school board is required to provide safe and healthful facilities. Current law also requires the Department of Commerce (department) to administer the laws relating to the safety of public buildings, which include a requirement that the department or, in certain cases, a county, city, village, or town (political subdivision) review plans for the construction or alteration of, or an addition to, a public building for compliance with the rules of the department before construction is started.
This bill creates certain provisions relating to indoor environmental quality in schools, which the bill defines to include any public elementary or secondary school in the state.
Jade Black nominated for National Geographic for Kids’ Huggable Hero Award, by WI State Senator
Please note: Wisconsin is not alone in having school mold problems, at least half of the schools in our country are estimated to have indoor air quality problems by the US Accounting Office, and that leaks and plumbing problems run much higher than that estimate. This is a national and even international problem that must be addressed school by school, as well as nationally in each country with school mold epidemics.