Gainesville, Fla. (WGFL) — Angelo DePrado says for the last few months he’s been living in an apartment with mold.
“I’ve been sick for a couple of months at least and I can barely breathe,” DePrado said.
A water leak on the third floor of his Campus Lodge apartment caused major flooding in his unit.
“There was just a crazy amount of water flowing and they had to use every towel they could find to stop it,” DePrado said.
DePrado said the exposure to mold has been making him sick and causing him to lose sleep.
“Every night I wake up at least two or three times and have to go to the bathroom and stick my head under the sink with towel and clear my lungs with steam.”
Deprado said management was alerted to issue, but did little to fix it.
“All they did to repair it was paint over it, but they didn’t do anything to check the safety of actually living in here.”
Campus Lodge management said they conducted an analysis of the apartment and did not find elevated levels of mold.
But, DePrado said an independent lab test shows he tested positive for six different strains of mold. “One of them that had the highest outcome on my blood test says that if it goes untreated it can be fatal.”
DePrado’s roommate Maverick Ehlers also tested positive for mold and says he’s concerned about his health.
“When I bring people over I feel bad because I know it’s been making me sick and I don’t want it to make them sick as well,” Ehlers said.
Ehlers said he feels management should have done more to ensure the health and safety and he and his roommates. “When you start dealing with things that affect your personal health it gets serious. They need to take more immediate and better responses.”