Pets are not immune to the dangers of mold in the home. They can get sick from mold, too. Small pets are especially susceptible, just like babies and small children are, but pets of any size can be affected.
Some signs that your pets are being negatively affected by mold in the home include:
- Excessive scratching (in the absence of fleas)
- Licking or chewing on his paws or feet
- Skin rash and sores
- Runny eyes
- Wheezing when he breathes and frequent sneezing
- Itchy ears (scratching them a lot)
- Ear infections (his ears may have a yeasty smell if you sniff them closely)
- Lethargy or fatigue
The problem with mold is that it can be found almost anywhere — both inside our homes and outside — provided there’s sufficient warmth and moisture to support it. Pets walk close to the ground, and often pick up mold spores on their feet and fur, which can get released into their indoor environments.
According to hybridrastamas.com, “In fact, pet hair and dead skin flakes (dander) are a great source of nutrition for mold. Research shows that both cats and dogs often carry various toxic molds and mycotoxins in their hair with some studies finding molds in 100% of cat hair and 80% of dog hair. If you have dog or cat allergies, this could be the smoking gun as to why!
“For all animals going outside and coming back inside, be sure to keep their nails trimmed which prevents some transfer of mold spores. Brush your pets daily and bathe regularly. In addition, wash pet bedding weekly with EC3 laundry additive. It removes mold and mycotoxins better than any product out there and has been lab tested to prove it
“For all animals going outside and coming back inside, be sure to keep their nails trimmed which prevents some transfer of mold spores. Brush your pets daily and bathe regularly. In addition, wash pet bedding weekly with EC3 laundry additive. It removes mold and mycotoxins better than any product out there and has been lab tested to prove it.” For in depth details for removing mold and mycotoxins from your pets, visit https://hybridrastamama.com/how-to-remove-mold-spores-from-animal-fur/
According to Dr. Patrick Mahaney of Los Angeles, mold can be found in drywall, around windows and floors, and even in clothing and towels that we’re about to wash — and sometimes even after they’re washed. “Mold can easily be inhaled or licked off of a tainted surface. That smelly towel your dog is always chewing on might be more than just smelly.”
Dr. Jennifer Coates, veterinary advisor with petMD adds, “Toxic mold is of particular concern for pets because these organisms produce mycotoxins that can cause health problems.”
Mold can be found pretty much anywhere pets like to spend time, whether in your dog’s prime snoozing or play area, or on your cat’s favorite sunning spot on the windowsill. Once you let your pet outside, mold can be found in decaying food, rotten tree stumps, and in the soil itself. So even in the relative safety of your own backyard, pets aren’t necessarily safe from mold.”
See your vet if your pet shows signs of mold-related health illness. In addition to the appropriate veterinary treatment, it may be necessary to remove your pet from the home until the mold problem can be dealt with. Without proper treatment, pets can die from excessive exposure to household mold.