I Was Exposed To Mold In My Workplace For 6 Months and Now
I was exposed to mold in my workplace for 6 months and now have allergies to almost everything I come into contact on a daily basis. I filed a workman’s comp claim only to have it denied and awaiting an appeal. I have documentation on the mold situation, and the types they found from Boelter & Yates. I have a condemnation letter from the City Health Dept. regarding the 8 units they condemned on the 5th floor of the apt building because of the mold. This all started in Aug. 2001 and to this day that management company still has not had the mold abated.
Boelter & Yates listed several species of mold found that they could identify and some mold they could not identify! I can probably tell them what they were because I was told in order to have an allergic reaction to something I would have to be exposed to that something. Well they found aspergillus, penicillium, candida, chaetomium, stachy, alternaria, Cephalosporum, Eppicoccum, Rhizopus and some other forms of these above. I am allergic to my own Histamines now. I am allergic to dust, dust mites, dust mix, 3 types of grass, and 7 types of trees. I suffer from urticaria-daily. I eat Benadryl by the bottle. I am on my 25th or 26th bottle since June of this year. I could not take the Immunotherapy shots as I had an allergic reaction to the only 2 my allergist gave me and wound up in the local ER. They said I should make my Doctor understand that they were dangerous for me. She didn’t listen to me and kept insisting that I take them anyway, so I changed to another allergist.
He thinks my body is producing mycotoxins and that they are or have attacked my digestive system. I am allergic to foods such as apples, shrimp, corn, green peppers, milk, eggs, strawberries, and brewers yeast. (beer) These are all things that I have surrounded myself with and enjoyed all my life. I am allergic to: Mercaptobenthiazole, Epoxy resin, P-Tert-Butylpheno; Formaldehyde Resin, Colophony, Paraben Mix, Nickel Sulfate. Some items you may recognize from the lists above would be: rubber products, shoes, boots, car tires, bras, girdles, tools, electrical cord, balloons, earphones, stethoscopes, detergents, rubber bands, erasers, mattresses, pillows, plugs, waistbands, antifreeze, fungicides, adhesives, vinyl, plastic, leather, wood, film emulsions, fabric, earphones, dental dams, flea and tick sprays and powders, tennis shoes, insoles, tape, inks, eyeglass frames, gloves, handbags, bridge coatings, appliance finishes, floorings, wall and panel coatings, varnishes, stains, laminates, paints, watchbands, belts, hats, plywood, pine, insulation, fiberglass, disinfectants, deodorants, insecticides, dental bonding materials, cosmetics, foundations, concealers, sunscreens, eyeliners, mascaras, lipsticks, creams, color pencils, adherents, drawing salves, softeners, blister creams, first aid ointments, cements, putties, sealants, polishes, waxes, lacquers, greases, oils, asphalt products, waterproofing agents, polyethylene, drive belts, sawdust, solvents, linoleum, match tips, fireworks, yellow laundry soap, pine-oil cleaners, chewing gum, grip aids, postage glue, printing inks, cutting fluids, copy paper, nose drops, eye drops, ear drops, rectal & vaginal creams, local anesthetics, bandages, day & night cream, oils, fats, shoe polish, textiles, powders, bronzers, fish products, mayonnaise, mustard, yogurt, nail polish, eye shadow, eyeliners, moisturizers, self tanners, candles, salad dressings, spiced sauces, processed vegetables, frozen dairy products, some baked goods, jams & jellies, soft drinks, fruit juices, syrups, and candies. I also am allergic to: metal buttons, zippers, snaps, scissors, keys, costume jewelry, green dyes such as that on a pool table, stainless steel, cooking utensils, dental bridges, and partials. First thing I have to do every morning is take a Benadryl. If I forget, I remember as soon as I start touching things in my home. My countertops can set off an itching episode.
I suffer from severe bouts of moodiness and depression. I have a chronic sore throat, and I always sound like I have a cold. I suffer from sinusitis, and fatigue. When it all first started I had the sore throat, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, hair loss, and itching.
I have been to several different Doctors trying to get the proper medical treatment and to no avail. The Doctors can only treat you as far as their medical knowledge or expertise will allow them too. Everyone of them saw me and told me that they were no “mold expert”. That there is no text or medical book that they can grab off of a shelf to help them. They always apologize and send me on my way. I have given up on the Doctors in Illinois. I found a mold clinic in Arizona and Dr, Gray will see me if Workman’s comp will pay and if not I have to pay $6,000.00 out of pocket to be tested. He will not treat me as I am an out of State patient, but he will diagnose and send me home with the proper protocol for my Doctor here to treat me and converse with him if necessary. Workman’s comp has never paid for any of my allergy meds or medical treatment. I am no longer working. I had to leave my last position due to mold there. I am probably going to lose my brand new home that I purchased in Dec. 2002. I put $25,000.000 cash down, not knowing I was going to get ill and lose everything! I am on unemployment right now which doesn’t cover my monthly expenses, when I should be receiving workman’s comp!
I know of a lady in Arizona that is so allergic and sensitive to mold now that if your body is producing mycotoxins, she can smell them excreting from your body. She has moved and started over 5 different times. She’s a wonderful lady and she has helped me and told me things that were going to start showing up on my body before I knew what I was about to endure. It’s pathetic the way I have to live and stay inside my home for fear of getting sick from being exposed to something in the outdoor environment.
When people say that there is no proof or it hasn’t been proven that mold has an adverse affect on anyone’s health, they are lying through their teeth, and should have to come and walk 1 mile in my shoes or talk to anyone that knew me prior to this exposure at this negligent management company’s property!
I have written several officials about my plea and case. I wrote the Senator, the President, Illinois Dept. of Professional Reg., the Illinois Dept. Of Fed. Reg., I have written several Doctors that specialize in this field. I have tried to find a mold study professional to see if I could become a case study and get all medical expenses covered as well as get my system detoxified. I have spoken to my children and left instructions that they should continue with the law suits in case of my death. This is not a laughing matter to me or anyone else that is living with this nightmare.