If we have sore, swollen or bleeding gums, most people would consider the cause to be poor dental care. This can certainly be the case. However, mold infestation of the delicate linings of the nose, mouth, throat and sinuses can also be a major cause.
Dentists may not consider the fact that mold in the home could be contributing to their patients’ oral health issues. According to the Cleveland Clinic, mold spores can become lodged in mucus membranes, irritating the mucus membranes and causing swelling and a burning sensation. Bleeding may also result.
Mold in the Sinus and Nasal Cavities Can Cause Dry Mouth
If mold is causing your nose to be stuffed up, causing you to breathe through your mouth, that can be bad for your teeth. That’s because breathing through your mouth dries out your mouth and decreases the production of saliva. Saliva helps wash away food particles and neutralizes acid in the mouth, so without adequate saliva, tooth decay and cavities may result. A dry mouth can also lead to gum disease and cause bad breath.
Mercury Can Be a Contributing Factor
If you’ve been trying to uncover all of the root causes behind the mold growth in your body, you will have to consider the impact of heavy metals. Mold feeds on the metals. And in the mouth, there are a number of things that can occur that can be triggers for mold growth and other autoimmune diseases, including those seemingly ordinary silver fillings (amalgams) many of us have.
Many people don’t realize that dental amalgams, often called “silver” fillings, actually contain 50 percent of mercury by weight. A small amount of ongoing mercury exposure comes from mercury vapor out gassing from such fillings.
Mercury exposure can also occur when old fillings fail and need to be replaced. IMPORTANT: Careful protocols need to be followed by your dentist to ensure that you, as well as your dentist, do not have greater exposure to mercury than necessary.
Molds Make Dangerous Mycotoxins (toxic substances that cause big health problems)
Some types of mold produce toxic substances called mycotoxins. Exposure to mycotoxins causes additional health problems beyond those triggered by inhalation of mold spores. It’s the mycotoxins produced by stachybotrys chartarum, also referred to as black mold, that makes this strain of mold so hazardous. Some mycotoxins can cause the mucus membranes to bleed, triggering nose bleeds are well as gums that bleed easily.
Mycotoxins also damage the immune system, creating a climate where the body cannot control or eliminate mold, viruses and bacteria from your body. This causes complicated health problems, and often creates irreparable damage to the body.
Take Matters Into Your Own Hands
Step One – Get into a Clean Environment
Getting out of the moldy environment is the MOST IMPORTANT and MOST POWERFUL treatment available. Getting away from the toxic exposure is the most difficult step, but consistently works every time.
In addition to getting the medical and dental treatment you need, you must arrange to have the mold removed from your home in order to prevent further harmful exposure. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends consulting your physician before attempting to remove mold yourself if you are experiencing mold-related health problems, since the process of removing mold stirs up the mold spores and exposes you to the mycotoxins that are making you sick. Whether you want to hire someone to do the work for you or plan to do it yourself, you can schedule a free consultation with a mold removal professional to get more information about the cleanup process.
Step Two – See an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist (ENT) and/or a Periodontist
If you are experiencing other symptoms of mold-related illness, such as coughing, sneezing, headaches, a sore throat, or a rash or hives, see your internist or primary care physician. Ask your physician to give you a referral to a ENT for breathing issues and/or a Periodontist for gum issues. Make sure you tell your doctor about any dental issues you are experiencing along with your other symptoms.
Your situation may call for a Sinus CT SCAN. This imaging will reveal fungal balls or obstructions in the sinuses. If sinusitis is a persistent symptom, having this done by a qualified ENT can inform treatment, because fungi growing in the sinus cavities can excrete mycotoxins and continue to make a person sick, even after they are in a mold-free environment.
If you are being treated by both a medical doctor and a dentist or periodontist for mold-related health problems, you can sign a release of information form allowing your health care providers to communicate regarding your diagnosis and treatment. It is important that your doctors works together to properly treat you.
Step Three – Clean Up Your Diet
Mold thrives on sugar. If you have a fungal infection of any kind, it is important that in addition to seeking professional medical help, you also begin battling the fungus by avoiding certain foods and drinks. If mold or yeast within the body is not fed what it needs to survive, it’s growth will slow down, and can potentially be more easily eliminated from the body.
Whether it’s white, brown, or a healthier choice, such as coconut sugar, it is still sugar, and sugar is a fungi’s best friend. Until you have eliminated the mold in your body, you need to say goodbye to sugar in all its forms (or strictly monitor your intake of the healthier options). This includes ‘healthy’ sugar alternatives (coconut flakes, fruit-derived sugars), aspartame and splenda (diet sodas & “sugar-free” foods), maple syrup, molasses, and even honey. Basically, stay away from fructose, lactose, maltose, glucose, mannitol, and sortbitol.
Other foods that support mold growth are:
- Processed Foods: Anything in a can, box, or bottle has been processed and is not considered a “whole food.” Most everything that is pre-packaged will contain sugar or some additive for “freshness” that acts as a sugar in the body and will feed the fungus. This includes canned, bottled, boxed and packaged foods. Most contain sugar, have loads of salt, and other chemical preservatives that play havoc with your digestive system (Manages your immune system).
- Foods Already Containing Yeast or Mold: Stay away from dairy! No milk, no sour cream, no buttermilk, no butter, and worst of all? Cheese. Don’t eat cheese,
- Alcoholic Drinks: Not only is alcohol a literal poison, it’s also one of fungus’ most beloved pals. No wine, no beer, no cider, no brandy, no whiskey, no gin, no rum.
- Processed and Smoked Meats: Hot dogs, smoked fish, ham, bacon, sausages, corned beef, pastrami… Basically, if it doesn’t resemble the original animal, don’t eat it. Have you tried veganism? No, that salad suffocated by chicken strips doesn’t count. Look, nobody’s judging you here, maybe you can’t be a vegan for the love of animals, but you most-certainly could be a vegan because you hate plants! Give it a try or do a little research on where your meat comes from and how it’s made, for your own sake.
- Edible Fungi: No mushrooms, no truffles. They belong to the fungi family, just like mold.
- Condiments: That includes ketchup… and the mustard, too. No condiments (or pickled foods) containing sugar or vinegar. Hold the mayo.
- Malt Products: Breakfast cereals, Malt-O-Meal, candies, and chocolate malt shakes.
- Fruit Juices: All packaged fruit juices may potentially contain molds. (Fresh fruit juices made in your home are OK in moderation. Beware: They also contain loads of sugar.
- Dried Fruits: Dried raisins, apricots, prunes, figs, dates, etc., due to moldy processing, and also load of sugar.
For some information about healthy foods you can eat, check out this article at MoldBlogger.com.