CANTON, Mich.– Officials at Salem High School say a fungus has been found inside the building and they’re taking steps to clean it out. A mold was found in a first-floor corridor of the Canton school. Officials found wet ceiling tiles and sweating pipes, and a further investigation uncovered the mold. The Plymouth-Canton school district has hired a firm to fix the problem, according to Jim Ryan, interim superintendent.
If the district is forced to replace the heating, ventilation and cooling system at Salem to eliminate mold, that could cost about $9 million, Local 4 reported. Ryan told Local 4 that it’s frustrating, but that they plan to clean up all of the mold. School starts in 11 days, the station reported.
Letters were sent to about 200 Salem staff members, asking them to keep an eye out for signs of moisture and to report those signs immediately. Black mold, formally know as stachybotrys, thrives in moisture and grows well on wood, paper or cotton surfaces. If the spores are inhaled they can lead to a variety of ailments and even death.
Molds are very common in buildings and homes and will grow anywhere indoors where there is moisture.