CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Emili Potts first noticed the mold outside of Craige dorm on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus, trailing the wall below her leaky air conditioning unit. When the junior began having trouble breathing, she looked inside her AC unit and saw mold growing on the vents. Her moldy dorm room was making her sick.
She went to the doctor because her throat hurt and she couldn’t stop coughing. The doctor told her she had bacterial pneumonia, most likely linked to the AC unit. She was hospitalized for two days in February, missing classes and two exams.
She also incurred about $3,000 in medical bills after insurance.
“I’m a very outgoing person,” said Potts, who is a resident adviser in Craige, “and I like to talk to my residents and make sure I have time for them and all of that. But being sick all the time, it also makes me very tired, so I spend a lot of time just like being exhausted and don’t have the energy to do my job effectively.”
Written by Myah Ward; Reprint from wral.com (UNC Media Hub).